Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I can't seem to catch a break. I found myself in Yaounde this week because over the weekend I managed, thanks to a muddy ditch, the dark, and my ever-encouraging counterpart, to reinjure my shoulder, dislocating it again. Though it hurt just as bad that night as it had the first two times, I don't think it was a full dislocation because it's already feeling better. The last time this happened it took me at least a month to get back the range of motion I have now. So there's some hope in that. The biggest thing I wanted to gain from coming to the capital to get checked out was the reassurance that there is some sort of long-term solution. The more often it happens, the more likely it is to occur again, and when it means losing the use of my arm for at least 2 months, it's nice to hear that there are options. The orthopedic I saw assured me that there are surgical options, in the US. So I have a decision to make. Live with the problem for the next year and a half and then get the procedure done once I get home, or get medically evacuated home or to South Africa and get it taken care of now. The latter option however would likely mean a lengthy rehabilitation period which would put me in serious risk of exceeding the Peace Corps's policy that volunteers who are outside of country for more than 45 days are separated from the program. The benefits to waiting really outweigh the appeal of instant gratification especially considering that because the injury happened during my service, I'll be completely covered for all costs even after I'm out of here.

The World Cup ended up being a major source of disappointment for me and of course the whole of Cameroon as well. When Cameroon was mathematically eliminated you could feel the shift from anxious exuberation to apathetic disinterest across the whole country. It was really unfortunate because I was enjoying being part of the whole celebration. That's really what it was. EVERYONE was watching the matches and things just shut down when Cameroon played. It was an experience you wouldn't have found anywhere in the US, probably despite how far we may have gone. Even the venues were something to remember; like watching the US-England match out in the bush, in a broken down shack of a bar, huddled around a 15" screen powered by a gas generator. And I can't remember ever being so affected by a game as when we went out to Ghana. It was a heartbreaking, but unforgettable night. There is still some support for Ghana as the typical 'Africa United' mentality holds strong, but I was really hoping to see one of my homes playing through to the end.

All has not been sob stories though. A few weeks ago I hosted 11 other Agro volunteers for a few days for a meeting and mushroom workshop. I think it was a big success and of course we all relished the chance to hangout. But with 12 people in the house for 4 days it wasn't too hard to say goodbye. My program director, Tiki, also made his way to Bambui last week as part of a site tour of all the Agros to visit and assess our work. It went really well even if I didn't feel I had a lot of tangible progress to show off. I've also learned that I'm getting a post-mate from this new batch of volunteers as they are putting an education volunteer in Bambili, my sister village, only about 8 minutes from my house. Supposedly she's an older woman who's tremendously qualified and who reportedly loves to cook, so everybody wins. Then in December, they are putting a health volunteer in another neighboring village, about 15 minutes away, so I'm going to be up to my neck in Americans.

Finally, a big thanks to Mom and Dad, and dear friend Kelly who all were responsible in getting me a brand new computer, camera, and raincoat! I'm especially in love with the camera. Expect pics to make a big come back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment