Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Birthday

On my way through Bamenda today toward Bali and Catherine's place where I was able to convince everyone to convert pizza night into a pre-birthday party for me. Should be fun, I know carrot cake is making a special guest appearance so really we can do no wrong.

I should let everyone know that I've fallen in love here. Or rather love jumped up on my shoulders and licked my face. His name is Tsoni (I think) and he's a German Shepard mix. Cameroonians are all terrified of dogs especially ones that look like this so when Tsoni found someone willing to play he wouldn't let me go. He belongs to a woman everyone calls Sister Heidi, until I steal him. Sister Heidi is a Swiss woman who has been in the country since the early 60s. Jibo's wife was recovering at her home and I stopped by to see the baby, Mohamed now (Han Solo a close second). It's really funny to see a little seventy year old white woman speaking pidgin. It reminded me of that scene from Airplane!. She's terribly nice and very welcoming, so I'm hoping she'll be my jive-talking granny while I'm here.

Apparently waiting for repairmen is a phenomenon that knows no cultural bounds. The fridge I bought last week lasted about two days before it died on me. I was able to convince the technician to come out and take a look at it rather than me having to drag it back to the shop. He decided the motor was bad and after much deliberation I ended up handing the guy 20,000F (about $40) to come back tomorrow with a new motor. Tomorrow came and I hadn't heard from the guy, he wasn't answering his phone and I was sure I had been screwed. But in time honored repair guy fashion he shows up the next day, fixes the fridge and cons another 3,000F out of me. Oh well, maybe it's all for the better because the "arctic wind" sound that was loud enough to drown out my radio seems to have disappeared.

Alright gang, off to Bali. Here's a bonus pic of me schooling a 10 year-old with my mad shooting skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment