Monday, January 4, 2010

Bonne Année

First of all I just have to express my congratulations to my brother Dan and his new fiancée Katie on their engagement! Before the news I didn't really think I'd be getting back to the states within the 2 years, but I'm not going to miss the wedding, so you can probably count on seeing me back home sometime next spring. Funny that this time last week I was rushing to get to a wedding here. That was a hell of an experience. 500 something people crammed in a small reception hall all of them holding gifts that they each had to personally present to the couple, in a time-lapse conga line down the aisle mind you. And so many speeches, and songs (note: Cameroonians are comically awful singers). I didn't think I'd ever get out of there, but thankfully the drinks were flowing and I was with my friend Elijah so we made the best of it. Since we last spoke I've also learned how to tap palm wine and of course rang in the new year on the smoke-filled, neon lit streets of Bamenda. You're probably wondering when the whole "volunteering" thing will kick in. Well have no fear, I'm slowly getting started with work. I'm developing a medicinal plant garden started by my predecessor at the health center, and this week meeting with the farmer's union to flesh out goals for the year. I'm also finally breaking ground on the small tree nursery at my home. So things are coming along, all be it slowly, but that seems pretty par for the course here. Taking their time, I'm realizing, is a fine art that Cameroonians have perfected over generations of intense, dedicated procrastination.

No comments:

Post a Comment